Path of Exile has seven playable characters, although only six are initially unlockable. The seventh, the Scion, can be permanently unlocked by rescuing her from a cage in the Upper Scepter of God area of Act 3.
- Duelist:He fights with melee attacks and can also summon an AI minion to fight alongside him.
- Templar:Fires projectiles, including three balls of lightning at once and a chain lightning attack.
- Witch:A female spellcaster with high intelligence.
- Ranger:She uses a bow and is extremely dexterous, but can wield swords as well. Despite being a glass cannon, the ranger is my class of choice.
- Marauder:A melee fighter with tremendous strength.
- Shadow:A dexterous and intelligent fighter, he uses short-range weapons and traps during battle.
- Scion:She can develop into any character build thanks to Path of Exile’s skill system. This makes her an advanced character, and she must be unlocked later in the game.
Picking your first character is important, but not as big a deal as in other Diablo-style games. Path of Exile provides an unusually high number of character slots, so you can play and switch between all seven classes if you so choose. Also, the time-limited nature of leagues (which we’ll describe below) and the likelihood that you might unwittingly create a flawed character build the first time you play all mean that you’ll probably be creating new characters before too long anyway.